On 08/03/2023 04:37, Thomas Wouters wrote:
I'm pleased to announce the release of Python 3.12 alpha 6.

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3120a6/

*This is an early developer preview of Python 3.12.*
Major new features of the 3.12 series, compared to 3.11

I was able to test reportlab with the 3.12.0a5 release (I build following the Archlinux pkgbuild), but am unable to do so with 3.12.0a6 because of problems with cython/lxml/freetype-py (I think).

With an optimized build of a6 I was getting segfaults which I think were caused by incompatible C extensions from the pip cache so decided to rebuild the requirements.

With latest cython git (allegedly 3.0.0b1) I see errors related to tstate eg

Cython/Compiler/Parsing.c:86861:34: error: ‘PyThreadState’ {aka ‘struct _ts’}
has no member named ‘curexc_traceback’
86861 |         PyObject* tmp_tb = tstate->curexc_traceback;

I guess that this is caused by changes in what we are allowed to see of Python
internal structure.

If anyone knows of a way to advance further I can try to experiment.

Python 3.12 is still in development. This release, 3.12.0a6 is the sixth of
seven planned alpha releases.

Alpha releases are intended to make it easier to test the current state of
new features and bug fixes and to test the release process.

During the alpha phase, features may be added up until the start of the
beta phase (2023-05-08) and, if necessary, may be modified or deleted up
until the release candidate phase (2023-07-31). Please keep in mind that
this is a preview release and its use is not recommended for production
environments.

Many new features for Python 3.12 are still being planned and written.
Among the new major new features and changes so far:

Your release team,
Thomas Wouters
Ned Deily
Steve Dower