On 10Mar2023 09:12, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2023-03-10, Weatherby,Gerard <gweathe...@uchc.edu> wrote:
On our Linux systems, I can up-arrow to go back to prior commands
and use the left and right arrows to navigate a line. The
functionality may be provided internally by readline. I’ve never had
to dig into it because it meets my needs out of the box.

Apparently the cmd.Cmd docs are wrong. It says:

     If the readline module is loaded, input will automatically
     inherit bash-like history-list editing (e.g. Control-P scrolls
     back to the last command, Control-N forward to the next one,
     Control-F moves the cursor to the right non-destructively,
     Control-B moves the cursor to the left non-destructively, etc.).

On my Python 3.10.10 Linux system, cmd.Com itself is importing the
readline module unconditionally when I call cmdloop(). There's no 'if'
about it.

I was wondering about that myself, whether this is an accident of phrasing. It doesn't say "is imported", so maybe the author was thinking "if readline's part of the install" here.

Anyway, I've got a try/import-readline/except-importerror/pass in my cmd.Cmd wrapper, because I read this the way you read it.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>