On 3/18/2023 4:46 AM, Alan Gauld wrote:
On 17/03/2023 17:55, Thomas Passin wrote:

I used Delphi and Smalltalk/V which both pretty much only exist within
their own IDEs and I used their features extensively.

Back when Delphi first came out, when I first used it, I don't remember
any IDE; one just used a text editor.

I think you might be meaning TurboPascal, Delphi's forerunner. It just
had a compiler and text editor. But Delphi from day 1 was an IDE
designed to compete with Visual Basic. Everything was geared around the
GUI builder. You could write code outside the IDE but it was orders of
magnitude more difficult.

Maybe my memory has faded too much! I remember porting some of my TurboPascal code to Delphi and wrapping it with the Delphi-Windows GUI instead of my own, pre-Delphi one. The details are hazy, though ...

The Lazarus open source project is based on Delphi's IDE.