On 2023-03-25 20:03, Patrick Sheehan wrote:
Hello,
I have been working with the attached book (See photo) to try to learn
Python and so far it has been a complete nightmare trying to get python
installed and operating correctly.  I have received a plethora of error
messages and consulted youtube videos and chat groups to try to remedy the
issues.  I am using a computer that is running Windows 10.  I have
installed, and un-installed several versions of Python and was able to
complete the first two lessons in the attached book, but could not complete
lesson 3 (Turtledemo)...Some of the error messages I have received
include:  "This app cannot run on your PC"; "Unable to initialize device
PRN"; “Python is not recognized as an internal or external command”:
"Python was not found: run without arguments to install from Microsoft
Store, or disable this shortcut from settings mange, app execution
aliases:"...I have been at this for 4 days now at least three hours each
day...Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
appreciated.  Additionally, I do have PyCharm installed (As you can tell, I
am a beginner), is PyCharm the same thing as Python?  Thank you in advance!

This list strips attachments such as images, so I don't know which book you're referring to.

I'd go for Python 3.11 and the installer "Windows installer (64-bit)" at https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3112/, i.e. "https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.11.2/python-3.11.2-amd64.exe"; (assuming that it's a 64-bit PC). To run Python, the recommended way is to use the Python Launcher, py.exe (so type "py my_program.py" in a Command window), or just double-click on it if it's a GUI program.

As for PRN, that's the printer. Does anyone use PRN these days?

And, no, PyCharm is not the same thing as Python. PyCharm is an IDE (integrated development environment) for Python, but Python is its own thing.