On Sun, 16 Apr 2023, Thomas Passin wrote:

Sorry, Rich, I've never dealt with this so someone else will have to give
suggestions.

Thomas,

This is all new to me, too.

I would try to see if there are any versions available. It could be that
meson says it needs version x but only version y > x is available. Pip
will quit but meson may very well work with the available version anyway.
So I would try to install pkg_resources on its own, and then see if the
meson build can succeed. No guarantees, but I've seen this work before. So
python3.9 -m pip install --user pkg_resources

Or, to see what versions if any are available:
python3.9 -m pip install --user pkg_resources==
# NO spaces allowed before the "==".

Thank you. I'll give this a try.

Regards,

Rich