On 4/28/23 11:05, MRAB wrote:
On 2023-04-28 16:55, Chris Green wrote:
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I can't see an elegant
way to do this.  I want to create a directory, but if it exists it's
not an error and the code should just continue.

So, I have:-

     for dirname in listofdirs:
         try:
             os.mkdir(dirname)
         except FileExistsError:
             # so what can I do here that says 'carry on regardless'
         except:
             # handle any other error, which is really an error

I'd do this:

     from contextlib import suppress

     for dirname in listofdirs:
         with suppress(FileExistsError):
             os.mkdir(dirname)

I'm fond of that approach too, though you can't use if it you really wanted to do the

          except:
              # handle any other error, which is really an error

If you're okay letting Python just raise whatever other error it found, then great!