On Tue, 30 Jan 2024, Thomas Passin via Python-list wrote:

If I had a script that's been working for 30 years, I'd probably just use
Python to do the personalizing and let the rest of the bash script do the
rest, like it always has. The Python program would pipe or send the
personalized messages to the rest of the bash program. Something in that
ballpark, anyway.

Thomas,

A bash shell script looks easier for me and more promising. Using a while
loop (one for the name file the other for the address file), and sed for
putting the name at the head of the message replacing a generic placeholder
should work with the existing for loop script.

Thanks,

Rich