On 18/02/24 12:48, Jonathan Gossage wrote:
The problem that I am facing is that when the superclass is not 'object', the __init__ method may well need arguments. I do not know how to determine if the superclass is 'object'. For what it is worth, any attempt to use this with different arguments should return the initial singleton and ignore further attempts to create a second instance.
1 "object"
don't understand. Perhaps give us a broader description of the problem? Remember also ABCs (Abstract Base Classes).

2 arguments
yes, must accommodate arguments in __new__() if some/same are needed in __init__() However, when using the default "object", the super() does not need, use, or want, any arguments to be passed.

3 singleton
don't think that is happening!

PS please reply to the list - there may be others who can learn from, or contribute to, this conversation!

--
Regards,
=dn