On 4/5/2024 5:32 PM, shannon makasale via Python-list wrote:
Hi there,
My name is Shannon. I installed Python 3.12 on my laptop a couple months ago,
but realised my school requires me to use 3.11.1.

I uninstalled 3.12 and installed 3.11.1.

Unfortunately, I am unable to run python now. It keeps asking to be modified,
repaired or uninstalled.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

It would be helpful to know how you uninstalled it.

The message you saw looks like it comes from the installer rather than from the Python interpreter. Try invoking Python with "py" (assuming you are using Windows). That is the standard Python launcher that is installed by the installer from python.org.

For the future, know that you can have several different versions of Python installed at the same time. On Windows, you can launch a specific version using the launcher:

py -3.11
py -3.12

And so on.

On Linux you should use the full name, such as

python3.11
python3.12

etc., depending on which versions have been installed. "python3" will get you the version used by the system, which may not be the one you want to use.

To install Python packages with pip, make sure you specify which version of pip to use, like this:

py -3.11 -m pip (Windows)

or

python3.11 -m pip (Linux)

Otherwise you make accidentally install the package into the wrong Python installation.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Shannon Makasale