Thank you!
________________________________
From: Python-list <python-list-bounces+dpopov=anl....@python.org> on behalf of
Greg Ewing via Python-list <python-list@python.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2024 3:56 AM
To: python-list@python.org <python-list@python.org>
Subject: Re: Use of statement 'global' in scripts.

On 8/05/24 1: 32 pm, Popov, Dmitry Yu wrote: > The statement 'global',
indicating variables living in the global scope, is very suitable to be used in
modules. I'm wondering whether in scripts, running at the top-level invocation
of the interpreter,
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

On 8/05/24 1:32 pm, Popov, Dmitry Yu wrote:
> The statement 'global', indicating variables living in the global scope, is
> very suitable to be used in modules. I'm wondering whether in scripts,
> running at the top-level invocation of the interpreter, statement 'global' is
> used exactly the same way as in modules?

The 'global' statement declares a name to be module-level, so there's no
reason to use it at the top level of either a script or a module, since
everything there is module-level anyway.

You only need it if you want to assign to a module-level name from
within a function, e.g.

spam = 17

def f():
   global spam
   spam = 42

f()
# spam is now 42

A script is a module, so everything that applies to modules also
applies to scripts.

--
Greg