With reference to another reply here, the "Weird stuff" came from reading the question, finding it unclear, and only later realising that whereas most people write Markdown-formatted documents for later processing, or perhaps docstrings in Markdown-format for collection by documentation systems; here, the objective appears to be using Python to generate Markdown.

How much have you used Markdown to any serious degree, before attempting this feat?