On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 11:41, Grant Edwards via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:
> I've been using the same e-mail address for about 20 years. I've use
> that e-mail address with probably close to 100 retailers, charities,
> open-source projects, media sites, and various other organizations.

Mostly the same, although in my case, I've had multiple email
addresses for different purposes (and still kept all of them for
decades).

> I get at most a few spam emails per week [I just checked my spam
> folder: 8 in the past 30 days]. And Gmail is very, very close to 100%
> accurate at filtering them out.  I can't remember the last time I
> actually got a spam message in my inbox.
>
> > A few years ago the spam count was greater than a 1,000 a month.
>
> I'm baffled.  Is Gmail silently rejecting that much junk before it
> even gets to the filter that puts stuff into my "spam" folder?

It really depends on how you count. On my mail server (can't get stats
for Gmail), I have a number of anti-spam and anti-abuse rules that
apply prior to the Bayesian filtering (for example, protocol
violations), and any spam that gets blocked by those rules isn't shown
in my stats. And then I have a further set of rules that nuke some of
the most blatant spam, and finally the regular trainable filter. I
should probably keep better stats on the stuff I don't keep, but at
the moment, all I actually track is the ones that the filter sees -
which is roughly 25-50 a day.

So.... yeah, Gmail is probably rejecting that much junk, but most of
it for protocol violations.

ChrisA