On 6/07/24 22:49, Rob Cliffe via Python-list wrote:
Consider this scenario (which I ran into in real life):
    I want to open a text file and do a lot of processing on the lines of that file.     If the file does not exist I want to take appropriate action, e.g. print an error message and abort the program.
I might write it like this:

try:
     with open(FileName) as f:
         for ln in f:
             print("I do a lot of processing here")
             # Many lines of code here .....
except FileNotFoundError:
     print(f"File {FileName} not found")
     sys.exit()

but this violates the principle that a "try" suite should be kept small, so that only targeted exceptions are trapped,

Yes!

not to mention that having "try" and "except" far apart decreases readability.

Uh-oh!

- and there's a bit of a hang-over for old-timers who had to take care of file-locking within the application - we try to minimise 'time' between opening a file and closing it (etc)!

As it seems the file is opened to read. Less relevant in this case, but habits and styles of coding matter...

Or I might write it like this:

try:
     f = open(FileName) as f:
     FileLines = f.readlines()
except FileNotFoundError:
     print(f"File {FileName} not found")
     sys.exit()
# I forgot to put "f.close()" here -:)
for ln in File Lines:
         print("I do a lot of processing here")
         # Many lines of code here .....

but this loses the benefits of using "open" as a context manager,
and would also be unacceptable if the file was too large to read into memory.

So, now there are two concerns:
1 FileNotFoundError, and
2 gradual processing to avoid memory-full

- added to remembering to close the file.

Really I would like to write something like

try:
     with open(FileName) as f:
except FileNotFoundError:
     print(f"File {FileName} not found")
     sys.exit()
else: # or "finally:"
         for ln in f:
             print("I do a lot of processing here")
             # Many lines of code here .....

but this of course does not work because by the time we get to "for ln in f:" the file has been closed so we get
ValueError: I/O operation on closed file

I could modify the last attempt to open the file twice, which would work, but seems like a kludge (subject to race condition, inefficient).

Is there a better / more Pythonic solution?

Idea 1: invert the exception handling and the context-manager by writing a custom context-manager class which handles FileNotFoundError internally. Thus, calling-code becomes:

with...
    for...
        processing

Idea 2: incorporate idea of encapsulating "processing" into a (well-named) function to shorten the number of lines-of-code inside the with-suite.

Idea 3: consider using a generator to 'produce' lines of data one-at-a-time. Remember that whilst context-managers and generators are distinct concepts within Python, they are quite similar in many ways. So, a custom generator could work like a context-manager or 'wrap' a context-manager per Idea 1.

Building a custom-class (Idea 1 or Idea 3) enables the components to be kept together, per the ideal. It keeps the try-except components close and easy to relate. It is Pythonic (in the OOP style).

--
Regards,
=dn