On Friday, 30 August 2024 at 23:35, Thomas Passin via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:

> On 8/30/2024 3:18 PM, Simon Connah via Python-list wrote:
>

> > I need to write a script that will take some user input (supplied on a
> > website) and then execute a Python script on a host via SSH. I'm curious
> > what the best options are for protecting against malicious input in much
> > the smae way as you sanitise SQL to protect against SQL injections.
>

> You should never, never, never "sanitize" SQL. Use prepared statements
> instead.

Yes. Sorry. I forgot what it was called and accidentally called it sanitising
instead but I'm using prepared statements in psycopg 3 for SQL.

> What kind of user input do you expect to get that would need to be
> "sanitized"? How are you going to use it such that malicious input might
> cause trouble? I hope you aren't planning to exec() it. Are you
> expecting a user to send in a script and your server will execute it?
> Better read up on sandboxing, then.

No. I'm not planning on exec() a random script. I have a prepared Python script
which configures various things. The web server connects to the server via SSH
and runs my Python script which then runs commands like bhyve (FreeBSD) and it
also does things like configure the firewall config file to change firewall
rules. The customer has no direct access to the Python script.

In terms of arguments the script that deals with bhyve for instance takes
arguments such as CPU count and RAM amount.

> If you won't be exec()ing a script, then you can consider creating an
> API where each method of the API can only do limited things, and only
> with certain parameters not all of all them. The SSH message can include
> the name of the method to use.
>

> And follow what Peter Holzer wrote. Don't forget that quoting practices
> are not the same between Windows and Linux.

Thank you. I'll look into this. Makes sense.