Ed Hotchkiss wrote:

> I'm new to Python, not programming. I agree with the point regarding
> the interpreter. what is that? who uses that!? Why are most examples
> like that, rather than executed as .py files?

I think showing examples at the Python interpreter prompt is *very*
helpful and IMHO a preferred method in plenty of cases.  If I'm showing
someone a piece of code that returns some object the type of which
you're not really that familiar with, would you rather be running it in
a script, or on a command prompt (or, my preference is to either copy
and paste the example to a script an run it with ``python -i`` or paste
it to an edit in IPython)?  With IPython (or vanilla Python interpreter
with parse-and-bind tab completion turned on), you can inspect the
object quite easily.  Again, IMHO, much easier than from a script.

> Another problem that I have (which does get annoying after awhile), is
> not using foo and bar. Spam and Eggs sucks. It's not funny, although
> Monty Python does rock. Why not use silly+walks instead.

Eh.  Life's too short for me to get up in a roar about such as this.
And Python's too good of a language for me to be overly bothered by
example naming conventions.  YMMV.