Thank you Jeff very much for your quick reply.
It saved me really much time of digging in the wrong direction.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> I took the advice from this web page:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q100027/
Ok, I had found this page myself during Googling, but I have missed just
to try to use the described way of addressing physical devices with file
opening in Python.
It works as expected with harddrives so you are right that you are getting
the MBR with the proposed code.

After some not always happy end adventures with Python
scripting I am impressed by the power of the concept behind
the language once again.

Claudio

>>(I don't know how this extends to floppies, and the 9x family of OSes
isn't
>>listed in "applies to", so this may not help your case)
>>Here, I open "physical drive 0" and see that the magic number indicates a
valid
>>boot record. I believe it is the MBR.
>>'U\xaa' # that is, hex 55 AA
>>I don't know much about low-level filesystem or partition details--I got
the
>>tidbit about the 55 AA magic number from
>>http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/sles9/adminguide-sles9/ch08.ht
ml
>>Jeff
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]