On Tuesday 25 October 2005 00:31, Duncan Booth wrote:
> P.S. James, *please* could you avoid top-quoting

Were it not for Steve Holden's providing me with a link off the list, I would
have never known to what it is you are referring. I have read some relevant
literature to find that this is more widely known as "top-posting". I'll go
with majority rules here, but I would like to say that my lack of
"netiquette" in this matter comes from practicality and not malice. I have
read many a letter both in-line quoted and/or top-posted and have never
really made a distinction between the two. Both styles have been very easy
for me to follow in the past using my mouse wheel (first added to the mouse
device circa 1995, when a 486/DX33 was still considered a powerful machine).
I'm sorry if I can't find a dumb terminal for a "VAX" with which to read my
email. Perhaps, if i could, I would understand your frustration a little
better.

The only reason I'm making a point of this is that many people come to python
from fields other than computer science or hacker-ology. Posting styles will
vary considerably among these people, so deal with the deviants carefully.
Their differences in styles, like mine, probably arise from the culture of
their respective fields. Most, like me, may not even know what the heck you
are talking about. Also, here is a well written synopsis of the arguments in
favor of top-posting and they may even be strong enough to legitimize the
practice:

       http://alpage.ath.cx/toppost/toppost.htm

In light of these arguments, I hereby reserve the right to revert to
top-posting if the compulsion overwhelms me.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570