. I've been schooled with various versions of several languages,
but I'm just now learning python:
I've not yet personally experienced any python debugger .

. I understand the python`IDLE (integrated DeveL Envir)
 comes with the std distro, and here is the part in the doc's
that you might find encouraging:

google( python idle debugger faq)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.python.org/doc/faq/programming.html#is-there-a-source-code-level-debugger-with-breakpoints-single-stepping-etc
"(

General Questions
1.1.1   Is there a source code level debugger with breakpoints, single-stepping, etc.? Yes.

The IDLE -- includes a graphical debugger.
(see folder path: Tools/scripts/idle),

There is documentation for the IDLE debugger
at http://www.python.org/idle/doc/idle2.html#Debugger

PythonWin
includes a GUI debugger
 based on pdb (python`s std command-line debug)
. The Pythonwin debugger colors breakpoints
and has quite a few cool features such as debugging non-Pythonwin programs. A reference can be found at http://www.python.org/windows/pythonwin/
. Recent versions of PythonWin are available as a part of
 the
ActivePython distribution
(see http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/index.html).
)-python.org

. another thing I plan to get into
 since I'm interested in taming xp,
is
    iPython, [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://ipython.scipy.org/

. there are many reasons for this,
but the one most relevant to your needs at the moment
(avoiding mysterious error msg's)
is this:
"(
# Automatic indentation of code as you type
-- (merely having inconsistent spaces or a tab-space mixture can cause unexpected syntax msg's, I'm told)

# Verbose and colored exception traceback printouts
. Easier to parse visually, and in verbose mode they produce a lot of useful debugging information

# Easy debugger access
to rapidly isolate the source of a bug:

. You can set IPython to call up the Python debugger (pdb) every time there is an uncaught exception
. This drops you inside the code which triggered the exception
with all the data live and it is possible to navigate the stack
. The %run magic command -with the -d option-
can run any script under pdb's control,
 automatically setting initial breakpoints for you.

[. other features that interest me include: ]

# Offers a flexible framework inspired by the likes of Mathematica, IDL and Mathcad
# Session logging (you can then later use these logs as code in your programs).
# Session restoring: logs can be replayed to restore a previous session to the state where you left it.
# Filesystem navigation, via a magic %cd command,
along with a persistent bookmark system (using %bookmark)
for fast access to frequently visited directories.
# The ability to expand python variables when calling the system shell
. In a shell command, any python variable prefixed with $ is expanded
. A double $$ allows passing a literal $ to the shell (for access to shell and environment variables like $PATH).
)-scipy.org