In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Fredrik Lundh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>that's backwards, isn't it?  using ^ with match is usually pointless (since
>match only looks at the first position anyway), and using ^ with search
>is also usually pointless...

While you're technically correct, I've been bitten too many times by
forgetting whether to use match() or search().  I've fixed that problem
by choosing to always use search() and combine with ^ as appropriate.
--
Aahz ([EMAIL PROTECTED])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Don't listen to schmucks on USENET when making legal decisions.  Hire
yourself a competent schmuck."  --USENET schmuck (aka Robert Kern)