On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, [utf-8] Björn Lindström wrote:

This article should explain it:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Ah, Jamie Zawinski, that well-known fount of sane and reasonable ideas.

It seems to me that the tabs-vs-spaces thing is really about who controls the indentation: with spaces, it's the writer, and with tabs, it's the reader. Does that match up with people's attitudes? Is it the case that the space cadets want to control how their code looks to others, and the tabulators want to control how others' code looks to them?

I wonder if there's a further correlation between preferring spaces to tabs and the GPL to the BSDL ...

tom

Lexicographical PS: 'tabophobia' is, apparently, fear of the neurodegenerative disorder tabes dorsalis.

--
3118110161      Pies