In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
JW  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Agreed.  The main page should be like a slick book cover.  It should grab
>you and leave you wanting more.  I think the beta page does that pretty
>well.
>
>  [...]
>
>Of course, I'm a minimalist.  I understand techy types want the details,
>but I don't doubt the details will be no more than two clicks away.

Which sort of gets to the heart of the argument: who is www.python.org
for?

I suggested one alternative a long time ago, but we never had the
bandwidth to do the necessary refactor:

The idea is that we make www.python.org even more minimal than the
current beta.python.org; it becomes a portal similar in simplicity to
google.com (with a bit more explanation).  It would lead off to
subdomains such as business.python.org, tech.python.org, help.python.org,
and so on.  That would make it easy for people to bookmark a specific
section that was appropriate for their needs.

If we can't do that, I think we should overall slant the focus toward the
primary users of python.org: people wanting to learn Python and people
doing real work in using Python.  (I have mostly been keeping my mouth
shut during this discussion because I'm one of the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
team and therefore should be contibuting labor to make this happen -- but
I haven't had the bandwidth.)
--
Aahz ([EMAIL PROTECTED])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis