Ok, I tried the changes you guys suggested but same error still:
1. Corrected spelling of referrer.
2. Don't specify host.

Here is what they say my request should look like:
POST /GatewayDC HTTP/1.0
Referer: YourCompanyNameGoesHere
Host: SSLserver.fedex.com
Accept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, text/plain, text/html, */*

Your FedEx Transaction
Note that Host here is ficticious.  My host should be correct.  And
they have referrer mispelled here so who knows which to use!

Here are some suspicions I have:

1 . One thing that is weird is that the data part just says "Your
FedEx Transaction".  I know I put the XML here, but I also notice that
urllib2 is putting this as:

request=<xml ....

Can I have my xml placed here without that something= part?  That
don't specify what parameter name I should use.

2. urllib2 seems to create my request with \n\r line endings.  Should
it maybe just be \n?  And if so, how to change that?

Thanks again,

Greg