Hello,

I would possibly look into using Pexpect (http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/) and the python "time" module for things of this nature.  It gives you a bit more granular control over what happens when.

Regards,
Michael

On Feb 5, 2006, at 2:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

From: Rick Spencer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: February 5, 2006 1:39:18 PM EST

To: python-list@python.org

Subject: what's wrong with my popen reasoning?

Hi all,

I am very new to Python programming. I am writing a program to manage

wireless connections, this is for GNOME on Linux. I present the user with

a "connect" button. I want to handle the connection for them slightly

different depending on whether or not the wireless access point they are

trying to connect to is secure. In either case, I have a similar question.

In the first case, the wireless access point is secured. I want to bring

up the GNOME applet for configuring a wireless access interface.  I can

pass the command line commands to bring it up, but I can't figure out how

to bring it up in a modal fashion, so that my Python program waits for the

user to dismiss it before my program gets control again.

In the second case, the access point is not secured. I just want to fire

off the command line utility (iwconfig) for connecting. In this case, I

want my program to wait until iwconfig is done before continuing on. I

figure that I could just write a line of code to read in from the console,

but I thought there might be a more pythonic way of doing it.

Here's my function so far, with variables replaced with constants to make

it easier to read:

def connect_clicked(self, widget, data="">

 if locked:

  os.popen("sudo network-admin -c ath0")

  self.emit('connection-attempted', "ath0")

 else:

  os.popen("sudo iwconfig ath0 ap 00:0F:B3:31:CB:01")

 self.emit('connection-attempted', "ath0")

Thanks much!

Cheers, Rick