Jorgen Grahn wrote:
 > You are rude to an obvious newbie here ... please keep in mind that
today's
 > stupid newbies are tomorrow's Python professionals.

I didn't mean to be rude and apologize if that's the way it came out.

> Maybe he /is/ running Jython and failed to explain that properly?

No, he explicitely stated that he's using Python 2.4 (I'm pretty sure
Jython's latest release is 2.1) and SPE (which didn't handle Jython last
time I tried it)

> If I
> understand things correctly, jar files are not tied to Java but to the java
> bytecode format -- which Java and Jython share.

Yes, it's used to store/package compiled java classes (.class bytecode
files) and various metadata associated to the classes (resources, ...)
and therefore tied to the bytecode (or the JVM) indeed.