Steve Holden wrote:

> The basic answer is that so far no developer has felt it worthwhile to
> expend time on adding these optimizations.

Mainly because it's rare to find such constructs in anything except
contrived examples ... Nearly every time you use a literal, it's being
added to (subtracted from, etc) a non-literal.

Adding such optimisations to Python may improve it's benchmark scores,
but that's about it. The real gains are to be found in reducing function
call overhead, attribute access, etc - and as a result there has been
considerable effort expended in those areas.

FWIW, there are some of us who do occasionally do bytecode
optimisations, but we know it's just a bit of fun. I've yet to do any
bytecode manipulation that's significantly improved performance. You're
best of leaving such things to Pysco, and concentrating on algorithmic
improvements.

Tim Delaney