On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:30:25 -0500 in comp.lang.python, Steve Holden
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>John Salerno wrote:
[...]
>> I know it comes from the suffix -tuple, which makes me think it's
>> pronounced as 'toople', but I've seen (at m-w.com) that the first
>> pronunciation option is 'tuhple', so I wasn't sure. Maybe it's both, but
>> which is most prevalent?
[...]
>"Tyoople", "toople" or "tupple" depending on who you are, where you grew
>up and who you are speaking to. As with so many Usenet questions,
>there's no right answer, only 314 wrong ones :-)

FWIW, I've often heard the latter two, but never the first one.
"Tuple" by itself tends to be "toople," but as a suffix tends to be
"tupple."

>I teach on both sides of the Atlantic, and have learned to draw a mental
>breath before trying to pronounce the word "router". Americans find the
>British pronunciation ("rooter") hilarious, despite the fact they tell

Probably a cultural reference to "Roto-Rooter," a nationwide plumbing
company specializing in cleaning (ostensibly tree and other plant
roots, though often more, uh, prozaic materials), from sewer drains.
"Call Roto-Rooter, that's the name, and away go troubles down the
drain."

>me I drive on "Root 66" to get to DC. The Brits are politer, and only
>snigger behind my back when I pronounce it as Americans do, to rhyme
>with "outer".

I've seen "route" pronounced "rout" or "root" depending on the
background and mood of the speaker, though in this part of the country
("midwest", though "middle" might be more accurate) the former
pronunciation is far more common.  Through the sugestive power of
television, however, I suspect nearly every American would speak of
"root 66" even though the next sentence might reference "rout 12."

On NPR ([American] National Public Radio), there's a weekly music
program called "American Routes" pronounced such to conjure the
alternate "American Roots."

Regards,
                                        -=Dave

--