It clears the screen by scrolling all the characters out of sight at
the top of the terminal window. So the screen is blank, but not cleared
in the sense that I mean it. The behavior I want is for the display to
be effectively "erased" and ready to receive the next wave of data --
like you would do in a UI -- which is what I'm used to working with,
which is why this is mildly frustrating, and at least 1/3 of why I
sound like an idiot with this question.

Anyway, I don't want it to scroll, just, in essense "refresh". As a
total Python noob, my approach has been os.system("clear") ,then print
"something".