Am Donnerstag 18 Mai 2006 08:51 schrieb SamFeltus:
> I am trying to figure out why so little web development in Python uses
> Flash as a display technology.  It seems most Python applications
> choose HTML/CSS/JS as the display technology, yet Flash is a far more
> powerful and elegant display technology.  On the other hand, HTML/JS
> seems clunky and antiquated.  I am a gardener, and not a coder by
> trade, but Flash seems to integrate just fine with Python.  Anyways,
> what are the technical reasons for this?

There no Python specific reason, but I refrain from using Flash because it
requires more than just the usual browser (which is available everywhere).
Using HTML/CSS/JS, I can make it so that the information I want to give to
the user displays right on pretty much every computer that's available out
there (think PS3), when I resort to techniques such as Flash or Java, I limit
the number of people I can reach.

Take me for example: I'm running Linux on AMD64, and there's no proper Flash
implementation yet which I can plug into my Firefox. So, I'm out on any Flash
page. If you want to exclude me from viewing the information you want to
present, fine, use Flash. If you don't, don't use it.

And: the web is a platform to offer _information_. Not to offer shiny
graphics/sound, which is the only benefit Flash has to offer.

To sum it up: Flash/Java considered evil here.

But that's just my 5 cents.

--- Heiko.