[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in news:1148133784.844430.23130@
38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Gerard Flanagan wrote:
>> All
>>
>> would anyone happen to have code to generate Cutter Numbers:
>>
>>   eg. http://www1.kfupm.edu.sa/library/cod-web/Cutter-numbers.htm

[...]
> I wrote a script to see if I could capture what the table is doing on
> the page you linked to.  It gets the Cutter number right about 50% of
> the time, otherwise its off by a few digits.
>
> I am stumped about what to do when the first letter is Q not followed
> by U.  It says to use numbers 2-29 for the second letters a-t, but
that
> is obviously not right (for one thing t would be 21, not 29).
>
> Since you seem a little bit more experienced in library science could
> you explain what is going on? :)
>
> you can find the script here:
> http://lost-theory.org/python/cutter.txt

I found another page
<http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/codes/cutter.html> that
expresses the letter codes more fully than the one the OP posted. But
nothing I've seen so far accounts for an example like " Chertok (.C48)".

This page <http://www.itsmarc.com/crs/cutr0020.htm> shows essentially
the same information the OP posted, including the Chertok example, which
is linked to another page that says this (and only this): "These Cutters
reflect the adjustments made to allow for a range of letters on the
table, e.g., l-m, or for letters not explicitly stated, e.g., h after an
initial consonant." Given that some unnamed adjustment is made, it's not
clear how one would go about programming it. I mean, Python's good, but
it only has a serpent brain.

--
rzed