I am not happy with any of the Python-as-a-First-Language books out
there. My vague inclination to write one has not yet formed into a firm
intention, but it's close.

Of the books that are out there, Learning Python and Dive Into Python
are best for the hobbyist as opposed to classroom setting, but my sense
is that both of them go a bit too fast for the typical beginner with no
formal training.

In the classroom setting, Zelle's book or Hetland's are good, but they
are a bit dry for the hobbyist.

In my opinion, if you are just looking for a pleasant exploration of
whether you enjoy programming, one option to consider is Python
Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Michael Dawson, which focuses
on developing games.

mt