<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> O/S WinXP Home
> Vsn of Python: 2.4
>
> Wish to install Amara.  Using amara-allinone-1.0.win32-py2.4.exe
> (2965KB)
>
> Forder structure before installation:
>
> c:
>  python24
>    DLLs
>    Doc
>    Include
>    Lib
>      site-packages
>        [previously installed stuff]
>    libs
>    scripts
>    tcl
>    tools
>
> When I run install, the install program indicates:
>
> Python directory: c:\python24\
> Installation directory: c:\python24\lib\site-packages\
>
> After install, folder structrue is:
>
> Vsn of Python: 2.4
>
> Wish to install Amara.  Using amara-allinone-1.0.win32-py2.4.exe
> (2965KB)
>
> Forder structure after installation:
>
> c:
>  python24
>    DLLs
>    Doc
>    Include
>    Lib
>      site-packages
>        [previously installed stuff]
>    libs
>    python24                 <<<--
>      lib                     <<<--
>        site-packages        <<<--  new amara files/folders appear
>          amara               <<<--  to be installed here
>          ft                   <<<--
>        scripts                <<<--
>        share                  <<<--
>    scripts
>    tcl
>    tools
>
> I was expecting the new amara files/folders to be installed within the
> existing c:\python24\ folder structure...wasn't expecting it to create
> a new ...\python24\ folder within the parent ...\python24\ folder.

That is probably because you told it to, without knowing what exactly was
being asked.  It looks like this installer was intended for someone who does
not already have Python installed.  You might inquire as to whether there is
one for people who do.

> My questions:
> 1) has anyone else observed this when installing?
> 2) should I move the newly installed files/folders into the
> previously-existing folder structure?  as long as I don't remove
> files/folders, is there any risk of causing a previously installed site
> package that worked to no longer work?

I don't think so.
As long as the installer did not register file locations, this should work.
If there are any shortcuts or start menu entries, you will have  to edit.

tjr