On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:40:52 -0700, digitalorganics wrote:
> A misuse of inheritance eh? Inheritance, like other language features,
> is merely a tool. I happen to be using this tool to have my virtual
> persons change roles at different points in their lifetime, as many
> real people tend to do. Thus, at these points, B is indeed an A. What a
> person is, whether in real life or in my program, is not static and
> comes into definition uniquely for each moment (micro-moment, etc.) of
> existence. Now, please, I have no intention of carrying the
> conversation in such a silly direction, I wasn't inviting a discussion
> on philosophy or some such. I seek to work the tools to my needs, not
> the other way around.

But thinking about the problem in the vocabulary provided by the
programming language can be helpful in coming up with a solution. If
inheritance tells you what an object _is_, and membership tells you what a
role _has_, and a role is something that a person has, that suggests
that an implementation where roles are members of a person might be
simpler than trying to use inheritance. Like, for instance:

class Role(object):
        def __init__(self, person):
                self.person = person

class Worker(Role):
        def do_work(self):
                print self.name, "is working"

class Employer(Role):

        def __init__(self, person):
                Role.__init__(self, person)
                self.employees = []

        def add_employee(self, worker):
                self.employees.append(worker)

        def boss_people_around(self):
                for employee in employees:
                        print self.name, "is telling", employee.name, "what to
do"

class Person(object):

        def __init__(self, name):
                self.roles = []