Nick> Uninstall support is hard, you would turn distutils (setup.py)
    Nick> into a package management system, but wait...!  there are already
    Nick> package managers that do exactly that (rpm, deb, Windows
    Nick> Installer).

Note that I don't really care about uninstall support, certainly not enough
to go through the pain of editing distutils.  I'd be happy if the installer
wrote a MANIFEST file that tells me what files and directories it did
install.  I'm not as worried about dependencies or overlaps between packages
as much as making sure that when I want to get rid of package X I can
actually delete all of its files.  I also realize that's not truly package
management in the rpm/deb sense, but that would be good enough for me.

My message was simply pointing out that telling people "use RPM or DEB" is
not really acceptable.  Not everyone uses Linux.  Or Windows.  Or Macs.
Python is a cross-platform language.  Through distutils it includes a basic
cross-platform installation facility.  It probably ought to also have a
corresponding basic cross-platform uninstall facility.

Skip