On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 07:42:30PM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > It would be nice to have a better estimate of how many packages can be
> > fixed in an automated way in DPMT [1], how many packages cannot be fixed
> > at all (e.g. because they use sphinx from Python interface) and how many
> > packages are remaining.
>
> Given that many packages use python3 -m sphinx now, the breakage would
> be quite small actually. Using python3 -m sphinx would continue to just
> work after the split (though it would still break cross building). So I
> guess, we can simply remove DPMT from the calculation.

If we can fix cross building in DPMT in an automated way, then why not do it?
Of course it is not the first priority, we can do it after fixing all other
packages.

> > The first step (making python3-sphinx provide sphinx) is zero cost, so
> > I can do it quite soon.
>
> Doing so enables depending on sphinx, but python3-sphinx and sphinx
> actually need to be distinct packages, because sphinx should become
> Multi-Arch: foreign while python3-sphinx should not. You cannot express
> that using Provides.

But the actual split is the last step (4th in your message). So at the first
step I just add Provides and don't split anything. Right?

> > Do you know what is the process of switching from update-alternatives
> > to directly shipping the symlink? Can I just drop the postinst/postrm
> > scripts and add that symlink, or I need to somehow unregister the
> > alternative when the package is upgraded?
>
> I think you need to actually declare Conflicts (not just Breaks and
> Replaces) on any alternative (i.e. python-sphinx). Then, you'd remove
> the alternative in preinst (like you do in prerm already) and unpacking
> the symlinks should work.

Can you please quickly look at this commit and say if it makes sense to you?

https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/modules/sphinx/-/commit/c51e0ad4908bb7d6

--
Dmitry Shachnev