On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:47 PM, A. Jesse Jiryu Davis
<je...@emptysquare.net> wrote:
> Ned merged my patches, so Python 3.6 and the next releases of Python 2.7 and
> 3.5 won't lock around getaddrinfo on Mac 10.5+.

Great!

> getaddrinfo is also thread-safe on recent NetBSD 4 and OpenBSD 5.4+. I plan
> to submit similar version checks for them. (FreeBSD already has the proper
> version check.)

That's also great to hear. Determination!

> In other words the lock is about to be removed on all modern platforms.
> Should we revert this asyncio change? It's a complex solution to a problem
> that's going away.

Humm... Do you for sure that getaddrinfo() can parse numeric IP
addresses (of all flavors) faster than the Python code you wrote,
barring the lock? If that's so I agree.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)