Someone might be interested: I ran across an unexpected process issue this
week.
We have a converter app that is part of a suite, when it runs it needs to call
an external DOS exe briefly (the exe does bit-shifting in a file etc.)  I
originally used system(), but found that _if_ one other particular app was
running (a huge resource hog - 99% CPU usage polling the A/Ds) the call would
fail to execute properly. I switched to win32process and SetPriorityClass() to
REALTIME and the call always succeeds.
win32con.SW_HIDE is also set in StartupInfo.
http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/Capturing_20DOS_20Output_20in_20a_20wxWindow
is a very helpful process example.

Ray