"RayS" wrote:

> Someone might be interested: I ran across an unexpected process issue this
> week.
> We have a converter app that is part of a suite, when it runs it needs to
> call  an external DOS exe briefly (the exe does bit-shifting in a file
> etc.)  I originally used system(), but found that _if_ one other
> particular app was running (a huge resource hog - 99% CPU usage polling
> the A/Ds) the call would fail to execute properly. I switched to
> win32process and SetPriorityClass() to REALTIME and the call always
> succeeds.
> win32con.SW_HIDE is also set in StartupInfo.
> http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/Capturing_20DOS_20Output_20in_20a_20wxWindow
> is a very helpful process example.
>
> Ray

I ran into something similar a while back that turned out to be a deficiency
in the called
program.  It wasn't taking into account the fact that it might not be able
to acquire
resources in a timely manner.  If you use os.popen to run the executable,
can you get
any kind of error message back ?

      Roger