I apologize sincerely and in advance if this problem has already been
discussed. I have been unable to find any reference to anything similar
in either the Python or Cygwin mailing lists, FAQs, etc.

I am attempting to run the native Windows 2.4 binary distribution
(i.e., c:\Python24\python.exe) interactively in a Cygwin terminal, and
I am having a very difficult time of it. It seems that the
terminal-based IO for the native Windows binary doesn't play well with
the Cygwin shell/terminal (I'm guessing).

If I open a DOS prompt, and invoke interactive python (by typing
"c:\python24\python") everything works as advertised (i.e., the version
and prompt are printed, and I can type commands and get responses).
However, when I open a Cygwin shell and try the same (by typing
"/cygdrive/c/python24/python"), python appears to just hang there. I
can hit CTRL-C to kill it, but otherwise it is unresponsive. What is
weird is that if I pipe it data (in non-interactive mode) it does just
fine. For example, if, in Cygwin, I can do the following:

> $ echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash
>
> $ echo $CYGWIN
> ntsec
>
> $ echo $TERM
> xterm
>
> $ echo 'print 5 + 5' | /cygdrive/c/python24/python
> 10
>
> $ echo $?
> 0
>
> $ python
> print 5 + 5
> hello?
> anyone there?
> ^C
>
> $  echo $?
> 130
>
> $

Unfortunately, I am *not* able to use the Cygwin version of Python for
the project on which I am working. I *must* use the native Windows
version. However, the inability to invoke it interactively in Cygwin
has got me tied in knots.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Once again, I
apologize if this is already a well-known issue.

        -- Matt