Do you find any more detail error message than a 500 Server Error?

I have no experience with using Python in the context of ASP. To use
non-ASCII characters correctly requires the understanding of character
encoding and to use them correctly through out a chain of software
components. In your case this might have happended:

1. You use your text editor to write your first version of ASP. It was
saved in encoding X.

2. Python load the code, try to interpret the source code in encoding Y.

3. Calls Response.Write(sGreetings). I guess this would cause the
parameter sGreetings first converted into unicode.

4. IIS spit put to end user in encoding Z.

As you can see there are many places a mismatch can happen. Encoding X
obviously should match encoding Y. I bet a mismatch there cause an 500
error later in step 3.

\xe4 and \xe5 stands for ä and å in latin-1 encoding. Since that work one
thing your can do is to ensure encoding X and encoding Y are all latin-1.
Do you know what character encoding your editor save your file in? I use
an Windows editor called EmEditor, which is especially good in giving your
this kind of detail. After that you still have to make sure Python knows
the encoding you have chosen for step 2. The proper way to do it is
documented in

   http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/ref/encodings.html

However things maybe different in the ASP context.

That's as far as I can help. Character encoding is really more complicated
than it should be. I hope a few years from now everything would be unicode
and we should not bother by this anymore.

wy