Hi,

I am sure Mark Hammond or someone else knowledgable can answer - but I
am sure that there are registry entries for PyWin32 also (for all that
COM/OLE stuff :-)

I just did a quick search of my registry for win32com and that led me to...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.Interpreter

That looks like it might be usable?

(though I am using the extensions installed on top of python.org
Python - but I would guess that ActiveState python is similar).

I don't completely see why you need an MSI though. You are requiring
Python on the target machine - why not use something like sdist with a
custom install script?  (note I am not an expert in distutils - so
maybe it doesn't do what you need!)

Anyway - some ideas for you :-)
   Mark