> Pythonwin the IDE has many fans, and I would like to get it
> working with
> Movable Python [#]_.

Great!

> Pythonwin is launched with 'pythonwin.exe'. Presumably (I speak from
> ignorance here) this uses the registry to determine the
> installed Python.

Nope - it uses some old code that really should die.

> When I run Pythonwin.exe on a computer with no installed Python (but a
> working Movpy setup) I get the message :
>
>     The application can not locate win32ui.pyd (or python) (126)
>     The specified  module could not be found.
>
> This is after putting the Pythonwin directory on the path [#]_ - and
> win32ui.pyd exists in the current directory (same directory as
> pythonwin.exe).

That surprises me.  win32ui.pyd next to pythonwin.exe should work fine -
that is the first thing checked by the code (which FYI is in
pythonwin/win32uiHostGlue.h)

> I see that the Pythonwin source code is C++, so I guess there
> is no way
> of creating a Pure Python version. :-)

But there is :)

import sys
import win32ui
# importing 'intpyapp' automatically registers an app object.
from pywin.framework import intpyapp

# Remove this script name from sys.argv, else Pythonwin will try and open
it!
sys.argv = sys.argv[:-1]
# Get the MFC "app" object and boot it up.
app = win32ui.GetApp()
app.InitInstance()
app.Run()
app.ExitInstance()

The above code should boot a fully functioning Pythonwin - just execute it
from pythonw.exe and you should be good to go.  The only reason I haven't
moved to something like this is that (a) pythonwin.exe already exists, and
(b) having a .exe makes it more obvious to a casual user...

Cheers,