I wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to create a COM server as part of a
> Python GUI app, such that an Excel client can connect to the *already
> running* instance of the server in the app. IOW, I want Excel to talk
> to the existing Python process, and not start a new one.

This may clarify my issue.  I found this in the VB help:

    ' Test to see if there is a copy of Microsoft Excel already running.
    On Error Resume Next
    ' Getobject function called without the first argument returns a
    ' reference to an instance of the application. If the application isn't
    ' running, an error occurs.
    Set MyXL = Getobject(, "Excel.Application")
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then ExcelWasNotRunning = True

I'd like to do the same thing with my app.  How can I register the COM
server and/or tell Windows that my application is now running so that
I get the same behavior as the above?  I don't want an instance of my
server class created in a new Python process; I want the existing,
running Python process.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>