Tim Golden wrote:
> [Michael Foord]
>
> | Sorry for the intrusion.
>
> Not often we see you around these parts!

I'm one of those dodgy lurkers. :-)

Most of my win32 experience is through IronPython, but there is a wealth
of information on this list.

> | I'm working on a book proposal about IronPython, with Manning.
>
> Excellent news.

It's not a done deal yet, but they want to publish the book and I'm
working on the second cut of the proposal today. (The first proposal has
already been out for review with some very positive responses.) With a
bit of luck I'll be making an announcement on my blog soon.

> | I'd like to also include some sections about 'general' system
> | administration tasks (on windows computers and networks) that can be
> | achieved with Python.
>
> Personally I'm delighted to see attention given to this
> subject in a book. (Or anywhere, for that matter). Altho'
> I'm not a sysadmin, I've spent a fair amount of time
> helping our sysadmins here and answering admin-y questions
> on the Python lists. I think Python's potential here --
> especially under Windows -- is hugely underrated. Of
> course Powershell may sweep that potential away; who knows?

Despite the pain caused to me by sys-admins over the last few years I'm
still keen to help them. :-)

Powershell is a programming environment, but it doesn't scale well to
full applications. As usual the clarity and simplicity of Python syntax
mean that it is ideal for simple scripting tasks and scales well to
large applications.

In addition, most of Powershell functionality is implemented in a set of
libraries which are fully accessible to IronPython.

> Unsurprisingly perhaps, a lot of my recommendations
> involve WMI. Now I've no idea if WMI is still a concept
> under .NET or how it's invoked if it is. At present,
> you use the pywin32 GetObject method to invoke it.
> Is that still possible under IronPython? Or is there
> some -- possibly built-in -- equivalent?

I've not used WMI before (although I've browsed your work before and
*nearly* used it a few times).

I assume they are in unmanaged code ?

Using unmanaged code from IronPython is very easy, but requires a stub
class in C#. This is because you need to use the 'DllImport' attribute
and you can't use .NET attributes from IronPython.

See the following for an example which uses GDI and User32 :

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2006_10_28.shtml#e530

> Anyway, examples of some of the vaguely sysadmin-y
> things I've either done myself or helped with. I
> suppose people's definition of sys-adminy varies a
> bit. I think I've been quite generous here; some of
> the examples are more development-y than admin-y.
> [snip..]

Thanks Tim, that's a *great* list.

I'll look through it and maybe pull out a couple of examples. I'd love
to discuss this with you. When I get to it I'll privately mail you.

All the best,

Fuzzyman