I have a small program that you no GUI of its own, but is controlled via a
series of telnet commands (from a crestron box I believe).

The program is running a twisted reactor, and needs to constantly be
listening for commands.

When this file dialog has come up, the reactor will ignore all other
commands until a file has been selected.

I fixed this by calling the file dialog in a thread, but what I really need
to do is kill the dialog, and in all my previous experiance with threads
(very little), there is no way to kill a thread before it has run through
its path.  (If there is, I should like to know about it)

So how would I go about getting rid of this dialog, as if they had clicked
the cancel button.

(Note:  of course it works fine if they just click the cancel button, but
this dialog appears on a different screen than the GUI, so I need to GUI to
be able to seamlessly kill it when they decide to run a different command).