Hello all,

I recently blogged about how listing all running processes is easy with
IronPython [1].

This contrasts with the pywin32 solution we were using which is a
'touch' more obscure (!) and has recently started failing on one
machine. However, I'm pretty certain that the pywin32 code we are
listing is 'sub-optimal'.

Can anyone suggest a better solution? (DISCLAIMER: I didn't write this,
my colleagues 'borrowed' it from the intarwebz.)

# check if AVG and Thunderbird are running
import win32pdhutil
for procName in ['avgwa.dat', 'avgw', 'thunderbird', "THUNDE~1"]:
    try:
        win32pdhutil.GetPerformanceAttributes('Process','ID Process',
procName)
    except:
        pass
    if win32pdhutil.FindPerformanceAttributesByName(procName):
        print "Pylint error found: Please shut down %s" % procName
        win32pdhutil.ShowAllProcesses()
        sys.exit(1)

All the best,

Fuzzyman

[1]
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2007_06_09.shtml#e739

from System.Diagnostics import Process

procs = Process.GetProcesses()
print "All running processes:"
print '\n'.join(proc.ProcessName for proc in procs)