Thanks for your reply, Mark.  I probably wasn't very clear, but I did
build a debug version of python.  I'll provide more detailed
information, as I'm sure the solution to my quandry is very likely a
no-brainer for most of the people on this list.

I checked out a copy of the python 2.4.4 source distribution into a
directory (c:\temp\Python-2.4.4).  Following the instructions in the
PCBuild subdirectory, I did a build with the 'debug' solution
configuration for pythoncore, python, and the subprojects that built
out-of-the-box.  The build was successful (no errors or warnings).  This
created files like 'python24_d.lib' in my c:\temp\Python-2.4.4\Pcbuild\
directory.

Next I checked out source files for pywin32-210, and unpacked them into
'c:\temp\pywin32' (thereby creating directories similar to
'c:\temp\pywin32\com', etc.).  I'm not exactly sure where these source
files should live in order to do the debug build, but I thought as a
first guess, I'd put them where other "subprojects" would go.  The notes
for building Python itself said that "if your Pcbuild is
.......\dist\src\Pcbuild\, unpack into new subdirectories of dist\".  In
my case, the '\dist' would correspond to 'c:\temp'.  This project may
not be the same thing as other subprojects, but it seemed like a good
guess to me.  I then tried building the pywin32 extensions with: "python
setup.py -q build -debug", and it failed with the error I mentioned.  I
also tried putting the pywin32 directory under c:\temp\Python-2.4.4, as
well as under c:\temp\Python-2.4.4\Pcbuild - neither of these worked
either.

Do I actually need to install the debug version of python that I built?
(I'd prefer not to overwrite my regular python build, but will happily
do that if that's what is required).  Do I need to set some environment
variables?  I believe I likely just need to tell the build program for
pywin32 where the debug version of python is, but I'm not sure how to do
that.  Sorry for the long explanation for a very elementary question,
but what am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Gerrat