Just following up from Roger's comments (which I agree with):

> The existing directory tree looks like this:
> -- adodbapi-2.1
> ..--adodbapi
> ....--__init__.py
> ....--adodbapi.py
> ..--tests
> ....--adodbapitest.py
> ....--adodbapitestconfig.py
> ....--adbapi20.py      (and so forth)
> ..--license.txt
> ..--readme.txt
> ..--setup.py
>
> I understand nothing about the magic whereby the source in the CVS tree
> becomes the install file that I run on a target system. So my question
> is:
> would /pywin32/adodbapi/adodbapy/adodbapi.py be the correct place to

Did you mean 'adodbapy' there?

> put the source?

I'd be inclined to drop a level here by making 'tests' a sub-package.  So
you would end up with:

-- adodbapi
..--__init__.py
..--adodbapi.py
..--tests
....--adodbapitest.py
....--adodbapitestconfig.py
....--adbapi20.py      (and so forth)
..--license.txt
..--readme.txt

and presumably:
..--setup.py

will no longer be necessary (I don't think its worth still supporting
creating a stand-alone package).  On the other hand, this may not scale as
well for the future (eg, 'docs' would need to be a child of the package too
- but is that really a problem?).  I'll leave this as your call though.

Cheers,