I recently wrote some C code to send SATA commands to a system drive,
using the ATA pass through layer.

I found this news group very helpful, since it deals with drivers.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev/topics

I wouldn't mentioned Python on that newsgroup though. If you post any
questions, pretend your doing it from C.
You may not get any help if you say you're trying to do it from Python. ;-)

Also- you should try to write the C or C++ code to actually send the
command first, until you get the mechanism down,
then use ctypes or a C DLL to be called from Python.

Also, stick with the Test Unit Ready command or any other command that
doesn't transfer data.

It will be easier to work out the mechanism that way. When you start
transferring data, drivers like the buffers to be aligned to some
specific boundary. Rather than get hung up on data transfer now, you
can deal with that later once you understand how to get a simple
command across.

Message: 4