Actually I that's the normal behavior.  The TEMP environment variable is
loaded by your user profile, but %TEMP% points to %WINDIR%\TEMP by default
if it isn't set explicitly.  You can test this by running 'runas /noprofile
/user:some_user cmd',  %TEMP% will point to %WINDIR%\TEMP.  Whatever script
you're running is just running before the profile has finished loading.  You
might want to add a second or two of delay or use a directory that you know
is writeable by the user.