Alexander Belyaev wrote:
> I am new to python and so far could not figure out what 'tp' means in
> the following?
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander
>
>     tp,val = win32pdh.GetFormattedCounterValue( hc,
> win32pdh.PDH_FMT_LONG )
>     print hex(tp),val

The PdhGetFormattedCounterValue API has two output parameters: the type
of data returned, and the value of the counter.
win32pdh.GetFormattedCounterValue handles that by returning a tuple of
the 2 values.  I could have written it this way:

    ret = win32pdh.GetFormattedCounterValue( hc, win32pdh.PDH_FMT_LONG )
    print hex(ret[0]), ret[1]

but the Python assignment statement allows me to assign the values of a
tuple to individual variables.  So, for example, I can say either:

    Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    (Intel)] on win32
     >>> xxx = (1,2,3)
     >>> xxx
    (1, 2, 3)
     >>> a, b, c = (1,2,3)
    1
     >>> b
    2
     >>> c
    3

In the code you quoted, "tp" receives the counter's type, and "val" gets
the value.  "type" is a built-in function in Python, so it's not safe to
us it as a variable name.

--
Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]